Thursday, August 20, 2009

August 20 Great Day with Madison

Woke up this morning earlyier than my normal early, got ready and headed out. I have been changing my route to the orphanage every other day for diffrent scenery and today was beautiful, sun comes up at 5:00 and the temperature until 11:00 or 12:00 is perfect even on the hot days.
Took pictures of a WW2 memorial, along with a tank that no denying had been in the war, it had bullet marks all over it. The last two days I have run into someone I know, well let me clarify that, they are people that I met here but when I thought about it I realized I have been here way to long. When I finally leave I will have logged about 60 plus days here and as frustrating as some of those days may have sounded here on the blog it really has been a great time and an experience of a lifetime. I got to Gargarina(orphanage) at 8:00 this morning which is really early but I sat outside and watched the staff change and the older kids come out first and then younger and so on, and you think of going to work some days and its the same old thing and you some times get in a rut, and these kids do the same thing all day long sun up to sun down. They don't really have a lot to do, toys don't exist, they throw rocks, play in the dirt. They have a play ground that is fairly well maintained . Its just sad to look at them and see this child who we would normally look at back at home and think grade school, high school, college and wife, family and all the things that lay ahead in life and these little people just keep doing the same thing everyday hoping some one will give them a chance at a family. Finally my Madison comes out and I feel a little guilty because I,m only taking one and if I could I would take 10, but I get my big hug from her and she is happy to see me. We sit in the shade and watch everything and wait for the director to get there so we can get permission to leave. We walk back by the river and stop and ate lunch and went to the apartment to study English and Madison takes a shower and we have a good Russian/English debate on whether we are going to have a Russian speaking day or English speaking day.
I lost again, she does good with English but she does not want to use it here, she say's when she gets home then she will speak English. So my Russian is getting better by the day. We headed out at 5:15 to walk back to Gargarina and get there by 6:00 and I sit there until 7:30, play with the kids and head back to the apartment. We have 5 days and we should have the new birth certificate and then apply for a passport and on to Kiev for a visa. Well that's enough for today and tomorrow is looking about the same, maybe ill change my route again and there will be something new to tell or maybe some one new to run into. HA HA
Love
Jeff & Madison

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff and Madison,
    I miss you...when I read this I think it feels so long since I have seen you all and really it hasnt even been a week..I guess its hard because by the time I get off work you all are asleep and then I am at work and we just cant communicate that much..I got used to talking to you alot during the 5 weeks I was there...I want to say ..I am so proud of you and I am proud to call you my husband and the father of my children...YOU ROCK.
    All my love
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. This is to all of you. You all deserve each other - only the best will do. All the way from Illinois it warms my heart to witness your relationship, love, respect and mutual support. And Madision you sound so sweet on the phone. I could hear your voice while I work with your mom. You are beautiful. Madison, Welcome to America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, hug as many children as you can for me and tell them about Jesus's love. Tell them a women in America told you to tell them about Jesus, that He was a little boy one time long long ago. That He came to open the gates of Heaven through His life, death and ressurection just for us, for them! Encourage them to go to church if they have an opportunity. Maybe what they will hear in a sermon will give them hope. So many of those children have no hope but if they know Jesus and hang on to His Word they will have a future in eternity. You can't save all the children from a life without a family but you can tell them how to have a life in a much larger family of believers. Don't be shy about talking to them about Our Savior you may be the only one that takes the time to tell them that there is a God who loves them. Tell them life isn't alway fair but God has a plan for them even if they can not see it now. Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Give them hugs, hugs and more hugs because once you leave you will wish you could hug them once more, I know.................
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeff, Vickie here. Your Mom and I helped with the inventory of the eye glasses last night. These are coming over with the team to the orphanges. These kids will be tested and able to have eye glasses to see better. So glad to be a part of that. I wish I could go on the trip, but the timing is not right at the moment. Great exercise walking to and from each day. You will be an "old hat" of knowing your way around. What a treat for you and the kids to be able to play together. I know they love every minute of it. Give each of them a hug for me too. Some of them I know from working, playing, and seeing them when I was there before. I haven't had a chance to talk to Donna nor her to talk to me. You know how it is in the States, go, go, go, work, and take care of everyday things at home. Sometimes, we should all just stop and smell the roses, and most important of all listen very closely to what God is saying to us everyday. "Be still and know I am God". You and your whole family are still in my prayers. Your sister, (in a way), since the kids call me Aunt Vickie.

    ReplyDelete