Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Monday the last day of August

Hey everyone,
It is hard to believe as of today I have been here 55 days and looks like one or two more to go.
No passport as of yet and I have heard nothing, trying to be patient. I have waited 55 days what is a few more hours a or a day or two. We hung out at the apartment the better part of the morning trying to figure out if all this stuff will fit in two bags. Madison has no concept of how they handle your bags and it can be dificult to try and make her understand. We went to Gargarina to let her tell Yauri goodbye he was leaving for school about sixty kilometers away and I wanted her to be with him and the rest of the siblings as much as possible. I would have went sooner but they have been very strict on visitation times. I had asked the caretakers if I could take Tonya and Madisons two brothers about 100 yards down the street to a restraunt that you can see the back door to the kitchen from the front porch of the orphanage and they said absolutely not, I don't understand there thought process sometimes it is difficult to figure. So we stayed there and let everyone visit as long as they could, finally the van pulled up and about 15 boys and girls got in, all have graduated and are going on to what is equivelent to high school, so they go else where for that part of there education. So Madison told her brother good bye and that was sad and of course her other brother was sad because in a few short days he will be there by himself with one year of school before he is reunited with Yauri. We went around back to sit in the shade and visit some more and I noticed four boys I have never seen before, so I watched them and they and four others go over the back wall and come back fifteen minutes later. I watch and a small crowd starts to gather and it is the usual suspect that are allways up to no good. So ten minutes go by and the have 2 large 1.5 liters of beer and are smoking ciggaretts and I think to myself I could not take three kids 100 yards away to eat and there are 15 smoking and drinking on the property and theese people are sitting on there buts allowing it to happen. The longer I sit there mader I got and then Lanna(the Translater) shows up at the wrong time so I take her to the caretakers and ask them if they are going to get off their butts and do there jobs. That is around about what I told Lanna, but I know she would not say that, so who knows what she said but about six women get up and go around and break up the party. Of course the are apologetic because they are emmbarased that some one pointed it out, but I at that point I really did'nt care if they liked it or not. I will probably pay a price for it one day when I come back, but they seem to be as much a part of the problem some times as the ones out doing theese things. There are a lot of good caretakers here that really care about the kids that have a real intrest and will sit and spend time with the kids and then you have the ones that are putting in the time for a paycheck. Those are the ones that tend not to be in your favor because you are taking there job security. I have heard that a couple of times and its hard to keep your mouth shut when you have days like yesterday. Five years ago I would have probably gotten myself in a lot of trouble yesterday, and I may have but nothing like before. It is hard to sit and watch some of theese kids go down the same road their parents did that put them here and they have no idea or they do and dont care. I tried to talk to a handfull afterwards and several really seemed to understand and others laughed it off and walked away. I was told you cant save them all and I know that but it can be hard to watch these kids and see them struggle with the things that get thrown at them. Don't take this the wrong way all these kids are not bad , but there are some and they can drag others down with them. Well I have vented enough and I probably have said way more than I should have, but thoose of you who know me well, know sometime I just dont care and somethings need to be said. Thank you for letting me get thatoff my chest. Hopefully Tuesdays post will be a little more inspiring.
Love
Jeff, Madison & Tonya

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, You have every right to vent. I was always told "silence is acceptance". If you had not spoken up, you would have been accepting their behavior too. GOOD FOR YOU for standing up and telling the care takers. Been there, seen it, tried talking to kids myself and yes was laughed at in my face and said to my face something in Ukranian. When I asked an English speaking child what was said, they refused to interpet it to me and just said "It was not nice". It is very frustrating. You just hope and pray for the workers and the kids. It's not that us American's know more than they, I think it is just that we care so deeply for these kids. It is a vicious cycle. Don't you wish every American boy or girl could go there and stay 55 days like you and then when they return home to America, how much more appreciative they would be? Adults too for that matter. It frustrates me. Sorry, sounds like I am venting, but in total agreement with you. Thanks for sharing you thoughts calm or upsetting. I truly enjoy the blog. I am always praying for you, Madison, Tonya, your boys here at home and Donna too!!. Love all of you. You're my family too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, what really matters is if only one of the caretakers or kids got something out of what you said then it will have been worth your hurt you suffered for them. You never know the mark you will have left on someone yesterday. I think your heart is so big for these kids. You will come to a point that you know you have to turn your love for them over to God's Hand because as you said, "you can not save them all." Hang in there, love mom

    ReplyDelete